Senior PGA Professional Championship
All Contestants Must Have Qualified Through a Section Senior PGA Professional Championship or Have Been Granted an Exemption Into the Field. All Contestants are Subject to the Eligiblity Requirements Set Forth (Below) and Within the Entry Information.
Eligibility is limited to PGA members who meet all of the following criteria:
All players must be eligibly employed and classified in one of the following active membership classifications or have Life Member status (LM, LMA, LMM or LMMA) at the time of entry and on Sept. 11, 2019. The PGA of America’s membership records must reflect this status on both of these critical dates.
|A-1||Head Professional at a PGA recognized golf course|
|A-2||Head Professional at a PGA recognized golf range|
|A-4||Golf Directors at a PGA recognized golf course|
|*A-5||Past PGA Presidents|
|A-6||Self-employed teaching professionals|
|A-7||Director of Golf or Head Professional at a PGA recognized golf facility under construction|
|A-9||Executives or managers of golf properties|
|A-11||Employees of Golf Associations|
|A-12||College Golf Coaches|
|A-13||General Managers/Directors of Club Operations|
|A-14||Directors of Instruction at a PGA recognized facility|
|A-16||Golf Course Architect/Builder|
|A-17||Golf Course Superintendents|
A-19 Golf Manufacturer Management
|A-20||Golf Manufacturer Sales Representatives|
|A-23||Golf Club Fitting/Golf Club Repair|
|A-24||PGA members primarily employed within the golf industry who are not eligible for another Active classification|
* Must be eligibly employed in one of the aforementioned active membership classifications or must be eligible for the following Life Member classifications (LM, LMA, LMM or LMMA).
- Participants must not have played in more than eight (8) combined regulated Professional Tours listed: Adams Pro Tour (APT), Asian Tour, Dakotas Tour, European Challenge Tour, European Senior Tour, European Tour, JPGA Senior Tour, JPGA Tour, Ladies European Tour (LET), Symetra Tour (LPGA), LPGA Tour, Mackenzie TOUR-Canada, PGA Australia Tours, PGA New Zealand Tours, PGA TOUR, PGA TOUR Champions, PGA TOUR China, PGA TOUR LatinoAmerica, SwingThought Tour, The Safari Tour, The Sunshine Tour and Korn Ferry/web.com TOUR tournaments between September 11, 2018 and September 10, 2019. The U.S. Open, U.S. Senior Open, U.S. Women’s Open, PGA Championship, KitchenAid Senior PGA Championship and KPMG Women’s PGA Championship are not included in the 8-tournament count.
- Participants must also be a minimum of 50 years of age on October 3, 2019, the first round of the 2019 Senior PGA Professional Championship. PGA Tournament Corporation, Inc., reserves the right to determine the eligibility of any player and to reject any player who does not meet these requirements. A PGA member will not be eligible to participate if:
- the member is serving a suspension from membership;
- the member is suspended from tournament participation for National tournaments;
- or the member is classified as Class F, Reserve, A-3, Retired Member, Life Member Century or Honorary.
Method of Play
The Championship is scheduled to be a 72-hole stroke play event, with 18 holes played per day. Golf cars will be provided as player (only) transportation during Championship rounds. Although a player may employ a caddie for the Championship, all players’ clubs must be transported on golf cars. There will be a “riding scorer” accompanying each group for the final two rounds and will be sharing a golf car with the single rider in that group.
The initial field will be 264 players, consisting of top finishers from the 2019 Section Senior PGA Professional Championships and exempt players (provided they meet all eligibility criteria):
- 2019 Section Senior Champions (those determined after the September 11 deadline may not submit a late entry);
- Former Champions of the Senior PGA Professional Championship;
- Top eight finishers, plus ties, from the 2018 Senior PGA Professional Championship;
- Players making the cut in the 2019 KitchenAid Senior PGA Championship;
- 2018 PGA Professional Player of the Year (provided they are 50 years old prior to October 3, 2019);
- 2018 Senior PGA Professional Player of the Year;
- 2018 PGA Professional Champion (provided they are 50 years old prior to October 25, 2018);
- Past PGA Professional Champions turning 50 years old (between the 1st round of the 2018 Senior PGA Professional Championship and the 1st round of the 2019 Senior PGA Professional Championship – a one-time only exemption);
- PGA Cup Team Player, if applicable (additional requirements must be met for a member of the PGA Cup Team to earn an exemption).
The field will be reduced to the low 90 players plus ties after the completion of 36* holes. After the completion of 54 holes, the field will be reduced to the low 70 players and ties for the final round.
Presented by Cadillac.
Supported by Golf Channel and John Deere.
The total purse is $300,000, with the Champion receiving $21,500. Contestants who do not make the final cut will be paid $300, provided they turn in a 36-hole scorecard.
Conforming Clubs: A players’ clubs must conform to the grooves and punch mark conditions of competition.
Gambling Policy: Neither players, nor caddies, may bet or wager on any aspect of the Senior PGA Professional Championship, nor may they provide any information concerning a player and/or the Championship to a party that they know, or have reason to believe, will use or is likely to use the information in connection with gambling on the Senior PGA Professional Championship.
Player Dress Code: Shorts are allowed during Practice Rounds. Shorts must be hemmed not more than two inches above the knee and professional looking in appearance. All attire must be hemmed appropriately for a major professional golf championship. NO shoes with metal spikes are permitted during the Championship. Players shall not wear (and shall not permit their caddies to wear) attire that contains endorsements for distilled spirits, tobacco or gambling companies.
Male players may wear shorts during practice rounds, however, slacks must be worn during Championship rounds when on club property.
Female players may wear shorts, slacks, skorts or golf skirts/dresses on club property. All attire must be hemmed appropriately for a professional golf championship.
8-Tournament Rule List
To be eligible for the 2019 Senior PGA Professional Championship, contestants must not have played in more than eight (8) combined regulated Professional Tours listed: Adams Pro Tour (APT), Asian Tour, Dakotas Tour, European Challenge Tour, European Senior Tour, European Tour, JPGA Senior Tour, JPGA Tour, Ladies European Tour (LET), Symetra Tour (LPGA), LPGA Tour, Mackenzie TOUR-Canada, PGA Australia Tours, PGA New Zealand Tours, PGA TOUR, PGA TOUR Champions, PGA TOUR China, PGA TOUR LatinoAmerica, SwingThought Tour, The Safari Tour, The Sunshine Tour and Korn Ferry/web.com TOUR tournaments between September 11, 2018 and September 10, 2019. The U.S. Open, U.S. Senior Open, U.S. Women’s Open, PGA Championship, KitchenAid Senior PGA Championship and KPMG Women’s PGA Championship are not included in the 8-tournament count.
Additional Playing Opportunities
The following additional benefits are subject to change at any time. Players will forfeit the following benefits earned through their Senior PGA Professional Championship performance if they fail to meet eligibility criteria/ dates for any specific event listed. Women playing from the forward tees shall not be eligible to earn playing privileges in the KitchenAid Senior PGA Championship and tournaments co-sponsored or approved by the European Tour, PGA TOUR, PGA TOUR Champions, or the Korn Ferry TOUR. Prior to playing at the Section level, women must declare which tees they will be playing.
- Top 35: The Top 35 finishers will be exempted into the 2020 KitchenAid Senior PGA Championship, to be played at Harbor Shores, Benton Harbor, Michigan, during the week of May 18-24, 2020. All players must walk during this Championship.
- Top 8: The Top 8 finishers, including ties, will be exempted into the 2020 Senior PGA Professional Championship played at PGA Golf Club, Port St. Lucie, Florida, during the week of October 22-25, 2020.
- Top 5: The Top 5 eligible finishers will be exempted into the PGA TOUR Champions Qualifying School FINAL STAGE, November 2019, providing an entry is submitted by the deadline.
1st Place: In addition to the opportunities listed above, the Champion will receive the following benefits:
- Exemption into future Senior PGA Professional Championships, provided eligibility requirements are met and maintained.
- Exemption into the 2020 PGA Professional Championship, provided eligibility requirements are met and maintained.